It’s an unfortunate coincidence that my husband is not a big chocolate fan, because I absolutely love chocolate (like, duh!) and chocolate is my go-to for desserts. I am also a huge fan of slow cookers, and yes I know about the insta pot, but I actually love a crockpot only because it’s just so easy to throw stuff together in the morning and have a warm and delicious meal that night, I’m addicted.
So when I discovered that crock pots aren’t just for soup and roasting, that you can use them for dessert as well, I was beyond psyched and I had to test it out!
Crock Pot Hot Fudge Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- ice cream for serving
- Add liner to crock pot (this will just make it easier to take the cake out at the end
- Add the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the milk, oil, vanilla, and stir until just moistened.
- Turn batter out into prepared slow cooker and spread it into a smooth, even, flat layer.
- Evenly sprinkle the chocolate chips; set aside.
- To a medium bowl (the same one you already used is fine, just wipe it clean with a paper towel), add 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, the boiling water, and whisk to combine. Carefully pour the hot cocoa-water mixture over the batter in slow cooker. Do not stir. This mixture turns into hot fudge while the cake bakes; do not stir.
- Cover and cook on high for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Start checking at just over one hour to ensure you don’t overbake.
- Remove from metal crock pot base to cool slightly.
If you’ve used a crock pot liner you can take the whole cake out in the liner but I prefer to just scoop out and decant into ramekins to serve individually. Serve warm topped with the ice cream of your choice any garnish. You can also add caramel or hot fudge sauce. I just love any recipe that has water as a main ingredient, lol! What’s your favorite chocolate dessert to make? Leave me a comment below!